Blackcurrant jam - old glass jars


I made blackcurrant jam the other day.
Here is the recipe:

Blackcurrant jam

1 kg blackcurrantStir the blackcurrant with the sugar, and when it has submitted some juice you cook it  10 – 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add Atamon. Pour in cleaned and scalded glass jars.

I guess Atamon is a special Danish liquid preservative - consisting of water, preservative (E211), antioxidant (E270), color (E150) and flavoring. 
1 kg sugar
Atamon

I use old glass jars, which i clean and scald. Recalcitrant labels are removed. First by scraping off as much as possible, and then removing the glue with rapeseed oil on a cloth, and then hard work rubbing.

I dress up the glass jars with a doily made of oilcloth. In a market called "det Blå Marked" in Haslev, there is a stall selling oilcloth by the yard. They also make round tablecloths, and by doing so there are some bits left from the corners. I bought a huge carrier bag filled with those bits for about  3 euros, and from these I have cut a lot of doilies in different sizes.

Doilies made of oilcloth

doilies made of oilcloth


I put them on the jars with a rubber band and then I bind some yarn around too. You have the advantage by using oilcloth that it can be wiped clean, and the doilies can be used several times.
The labels are made by finding some I like for instance on Pinterest, and then image processing in Paint ( erase text, fill in color in the erased field, and then write my own text ). Then I insert the picture in a table with three columns in a text document (Open Office). I insert in as many cells as I need for the jars. If the label is too big, I use IrfanView to resize the picture.

Danish



Comments