Freeze Fresh Basil


When I have lots of basil in the greenhouse, I freeze some of it.Sometimes I make pesto and freeze it in glass jars. I pour a little bit of olive oil on top of the pesto to prevent the surface to turn brownish.

Pesto

1 handful fresh basilBlend basil, pine nuts and garlic together. Add parmesan and oil a little at a time untill the paste is like porridge.  Let it rest a couple of hours before use.
30-50 g pine nuts
4 garlic cloves
½ Dl parmesan
olive oil

You can also freeze the basil for later use in soups or pasta dishes. Pick the leaves and rinse in water. Dry them in a dishtowel. Then I put the leaves in my Bamix processor and chop the leaves coarsely.


When chopped I put it in a bowl and add 1-1½ tsp olive oil and mix thoroughly. The oil prevents the basil to turn brown. Then  put it in a freezer bag and flatten the content. This makes it easy to break off the amount  you want to use.


And there is still lots of cherries  - more for the freezer and daily consumption. πŸ˜‹πŸ’πŸ’


Danish

Comments